Fibro Blogger Directory

Tuesday, 20 October 2015

Taken for granted.

Of course everyone feels like this every now and again, but that's not what I mean, I'm thinking about things I took for granted. I just saw a post on Facebook and it brought tears to my eyes. So here they are,  the things I didn't ever consider, I just did them....

The freedom of driving, to go when you like, where you like, I didn't have to ask, I'm always asking,  may I,  can you, I'd just go, music on, windows open, singing loudly to Billy Joel or similar, the world whizzing by, not a care, completely free.

I used to work,  I didn't really like my job, but I understood the value of it, yet I did take it for granted. Working was how I supported my children, even as a single mum I worked, I held my head high, my boys knew that to be paid ment I'd  worked hard,  I wasn't a scrounger! I'm now on a disability payment, a type of pension, but not earned.

Walking is a given, right? How many of you thank God/the universe for your ability to walk.... no, me either.... and then I couldn't,  not as I used to anyway. I used to walk all day long at work, then I'd walk some more with the dogs, just to potter about in the garden or the house, to quickly pop the laundry upstairs, or nip over the road.... I  can walk, with Mitch on one arm and a stick, or my trolley.... but that's not walking...not really.

I had an insatiable thirst for books, any kind of book, I'd read anything,  everything... upto and including toiletry/cleaner bottles while on the loo! It was nothing for me to read 2 or 3 books in a week, sometimes I'd read them simultaneously.... and remember everything that was going on in each, I didn't need a book mark, I knew what page was next,  I devoured them. They were my addiction. I struggle now, the print on my kindle needs to be large, and then when circumstances allow and I can physically read i rarely do as i don't remember what I've read,  so it's a complete waste of time .

Oh how I miss you shopping! On a day off I would just meander about in Wotton, Yate and Chipping Sodbury, picking something up to smell the freshness, or feel the quality. I have to rely on the reviews of strangers now, as they give items star values, often their idea of high quality and mine are quite different, so back it goes and I start again.

Have you noticed how bloody heavy pans are?  I'd never given it a second thought, I too often can't lift them, if you can't lift a pan, you can't cook dinner. Oven trays are another thing, they involve bending, holding onto and lifting (and hot) all in one go, each of these is a challenge, together they are nigh on impossible. Then you have the plates.... I drop things, enough said, lol!

I took myself for granted, the amazing things I was capable of,  my stamina, my ability to go to work, sort the kids, go to the gym, cook dinner, clean the house all in a day. I'd still have energy to get jiggy with Mr M. (well, on his birthday....hehehe)

That's what I took for granted most, me.

2 comments:

  1. Ria, this was beautifully written..I loved it. I hate the symptoms and knowing others can relate to my pain and my struggles but yet it is comforting to know I am not alone. I like how you written this to help spoonies but also to spread awareness!! Your a fantastic writer xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely, I'm finding it really cathartic.... and if it spreads awareness of what we spoonies go through, then that's a bonus xx

    ReplyDelete